Maine Families in 1790
The goal of the Maine Families in 1790 series is to document all of the families living in Maine at the time of the 1790 census. The intent is to establish these families through accurate and well-documented summaries, providing a basis for further research.
To date eleven volumes have been published and these document nearly 2,900 families living in Maine in 1790. Not only has Maine Families in 1790 become one of the first sources to consult for Maine genealogical research, it has also allowed researchers to get in touch with the other persons working on the same families since the names of all submitters are published. Maine Families in 1790 is a project in which ALL Maine genealogists are encouraged are participate and share information.
Submission of Family Sketches
Maine Genealogical Society is now accepting families for Volume 12.
Submissions of families may be made in any format, but please include as much of the following information listed below as possible. Please cite your sources and include photocopies of your sources with your submission.
- 1790 Census Information – as enumerated on the printed census including (a) name of the head-of-household, (b) page and column number, (c) household statistics, and (d) name of town and county of residence in 1790.
- Head of Household – name, place and date of birth, parents’ names (include documentation for the mother’s maiden name), place and date of death, place and date of marriage.
- Spouse(s) of Head of Household – name, place and date of birth, parents’ names (include documentation for the mother’s maiden name), place and date of death.
- Biographical Information on the Family – At least two or three sentences are requested, although longer accounts are acceptable. Information in this section might include occupations, places of residences, civil or military service, persons mentioned in probate or land records, discussion of research problems, and anything else of particular interest regarding the family.
- List of Children – with dates and places of birth, death and marriage; names of spouses with their dates and places of birth and death and names of parents (including documentation for the mothers’ maiden names).
It is recognized that all the facts listed above will not be found for every family. However, a conscientious effort should be made to locate as much of this information as is available in original (particularly deeds, probates and town vital records) and reliable published sources for the area and family in question.
Every fact must be cited to the source where the information is found. Primary sources should be sought wherever possible. Citations to primary sources should include the repository where the record was found, volume/page numbers, record numbers or file numbers as applicable. A manuscript or typescript source should state the repository where it is found and should be cited exactly as given in the card catalog including author, date, and page number. Published sources should include the author, the exact name of the book, date of publication, and page number. Please include photocopies of your sources with your submissions. See sample Maine Families in 1790 sketch for an example of the format, level of information, and documentation requested.
For more information, please write to the editor. Submissions of families may be sent directly to the editor. Receipt will be promptly acknowledged in writing.
Mail to: Joseph C. Anderson II, FASG, Editor, Maine Families in 1790 5337 Del Roy Drive Dallas TX 75229-3016
Standards for Sound Genealogical Research Always follow accepted standards for your genealogical research. We recommend a review of these standards as recommended by the National Genealogical Society.
We have compiled an index of the Heads of Household for sketches included in Maine Families in 1790, volumes 1-11.
Many of our 1790 volumes have an addendum at the end with known corrections or additions, often overlooked. We have created an Addendum Index to help easily locate these updated/enhanced sketches. Please take a moment to ensure you aren’t missing some new information on your family.
Showing all 12 results
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 1$35.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 2$35.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 3$40.00 Read more
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 4$39.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 5$35.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 6$49.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 7$54.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 8$55.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 9$55.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 10 2009$65.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 VOL 11 2015$59.00 Add to cart
Maine Families in 1790 BundleRead more