MGS Special Publication #79 (Vital Records of Gouldsboro, Maine)
Compiled By: Wilfred A Côté Pages: 320 ISBN: 978-0-9965698-7-3 Original Publication Year: 2017 Every Name Index: 9,486 entries
Non-Member Price: $39 Member Price: $29
About The Book: Gouldsboro is the eastern-most town in Hancock County. It occupies most of the Gouldsboro Peninsula and forms part of the eastern border of Frenchman Bay. The earliest permanent settlers of Gouldsboro arrived in 1762. They were part of the eastward migration from communities in southwestern Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts that opened eastern coastal lands in the County of Lincoln in what would later become Hancock and Washington counties in the District of Maine.
The town now known as Gouldsboro was incorporated on February 16, 1789, as Goldsboro, the name being corrected in the original document from Goldsborough in all but one instance. The spelling is an obvious error despite earlier correspondence between inhabitants and the government in Massachusetts in which the name is correctly spelled Gouldsborough. The town was named in honor of Robert Gould, a Boston merchant and township grantee who was instrumental in inducing settlers to establish themselves within the town. Town records show that the town was consistently called Gouldsborough from the beginning. The name was not changed to Gouldsboro until 1887. The town occupied the entire Gouldsboro Peninsula until 1895 when the Town of Winter Harbor was set off.3